Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chicken Rendang Padang & Tumeric Glutinous Rice

Have been planning to cook this 2 days ago for my friends, but too bad the gathering has been cancelled. Well, since I've bought all the ingredients, I just have to cook this before those ingredients get expire especially the coconut milk. So end up there are a big pot of Rendang and Tumeric rice. Of course I've shared it with my other friends, and they love it..:)
This is the first time I cook Rendang and Tumeric rice...well, usually I'll buy from outside stall when I feel like eating it. Cooking it was not difficult but washing the dishes was a headache..haha!

Here's the Chicken Rendang.........you can always replace it with beef or mutton.


And then...Tumeric Glutinous Rice.

600g Tumeric Rice (I used 500g Glutinous rice and 100g white rice)
1 tsp Tumeric powder
1pc Assam rind

~ Mix all ingredients together and soak with water for at least 6 hours and drained.

3 small Garlic
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Star anise
2 Cloves
8ooml coconut milk
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt

~ Mix coconut milk with sugar and salt.
~ Stirfry Garlic, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves till fragnant then add in rice and mix well.
~ Pour in coconut milk mixture and transfer into a 9" round pan and steam for 25-30 minutes until cooked.


These are the ingredients you need for the Rendang.............
500g Chicken
1 cup Grated Coconut
2 Khaffir Lime leaves
2 stalks Lemon Grass
2-3 bowls of thick coconut milk
1 tsp Tumeric powder
4-5 tbsps Cooking oil
Blend ingredients:
20 Dried chilli
1 tbsp Chilli powder
10 shallots
5 cloves garlic
2.5cm Galangal/ Lengkuas
2.5cm Ginger
Method:
~Season chicken with tumeric and salt
~Fry grated coconut until slightly brown and keep aside.
~Fry blended ingredients until well cooked, add in leaves, lemon grass and chicken. Stir and mix well.
~Add in coconut milk and grated coconut. Mix well and cover with lid to simmer at low-heat until meat tender and gravy is thick. (add in coconut milk or water if gravy dries up)
~Add salt and sugar to taste.
My yummy dinner...:)


12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Your rendang chicken looks very good. It's the kind that I like, not watery, thick and spicy! You can cook so well Reese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah, who is this lucky friend of yours ahh?? How come didn't give face & Bong tang your gathering! If it's me with such delicious reading waiting for me... I sure go!! Looks super yum, will try this out, but looks like quite abit of ingredients to gather....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nasi kunyit with rendang, always look out for it when someone is celebrating fullmoon:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum a great meal to celebrate Merderka Day!! Rendang goes so well with turmeric rice. This year I am very lazy I didn't do anything. Maybe this holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane,
    Yea, the rendang taste very good. But I think I should add more chilli next time..not spicy enough larr...;p

    Bee Bee,
    *sigh* don't talk about that gathering anymore la, I'm not going to organize such things again. Btw, I've shared all these with Grace of course...heehee! Too bad you are not around, or else we'll have a picnic-dinner at "G"...:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie,
    I never know that these are for celebrating fullmoon until I received one from a friend last few months. I thought these are for Malay's Raya..heehee!

    Gert,
    Happy Merdeka!! Looking forward to your coming posts..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sweatha, I agree what you said..we need to express our feelings sometimes, no matter its happy or sad. And writing a blog really change my life..:) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah! Rendang, my favorite dish! I'm so lazy to cook it myself. I really hope I got the passion to cook it soon. Now, got to go out to buy it so that I stop drooling here :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh....my favourite. That just looks so irresistible. I need to cook soon, too. I usually just go for the ready paste. Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also just made rendang some time ago, but I didn't make it from scratch like you, I used ready-made rendang seasoning. I like your version with chicken, normally I eat rendang with beef.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dear, I love the recipe you shared, as my bf love rendang chicken but must have Tumeric glutinous rice (so hard to please this fellow)

    I wish to know 1pc Assam rind same as 1 assam dried slice?

    hoyoyi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi hoyoyi,
    Yes, 1 pc Assam rind is the same as 1 slice dried assam. You can always soak 1-2 pcs with hot water then add slowly into the dish. The taste is very individual.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails