Monday, November 8, 2010

Vanilla Coffee Layered Sponge

Ever since my daughter's exam was over we've been out almost everyday. Last weekend was a super nice one which we've been shopping for 2 days, having coffee at CoffeeBean Cafe and a relax picnic that my daughter wanted so much. How I which it never ends...haha!
But we already have plans for the coming year end holidays!! YEAH!! This coming holidays we'll have lots of visitors and trips...woohoo...I've been counting down for them..:D What about you?
Do you notice that almost all shopping complexs have started their X'mas decorations? Oh I love X'mas, just can't wait!
Well, today's bakes...a light and soft Coffee Sponge Cake. I love cakes, but worry about the fats and calories in it. Since I've been craving for it, why not a lighter one to satisfy myself..:)


Not to mention about coffee..that's something I must have everyday. So I just mix and match the sponge with my desire flavour, well its nice..heehee..;p Its soft and fluffy too!


Ingredients:

Egg white batter:
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
80g castor sugar

Coffee batter:
1 tbsp (good quality) instant coffee powder
30ml fresh milk
3 egg yolks
20g castor sugar
20ml cornoil
40g self raising flour

Vanilla batter:
1 tbsp vanilla powder (I used the Coffeebean's)
30ml fresh milk
3 egg yolks
15g castor sugar
20ml cornoil
40g self raising flour

Method for coffee batter:
~ Stir instant coffee powder with milk until melted.
~ Beat the egg yolks and sugar until well mix then add in coffee mixture, follow with oil and flour. Set aside.

Method for Vanilla batter:
~ Stir in vanilla powder with milk until melted.
~ Beat egg yolks with sugar then add in vanilla mixture and follow with oil and flour. Set aside.

Method for egg whites:
~ Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks.
~ Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
~ Divide into 2 portions and fold into the coffee mixture and vanlla mixture respectively.

* Pour a layer of vanilla batter and coffee batter into ungreased pan by sequence. (Iused a tube pan)
* Bake in preheated oven at 170'C for 30 minutes.
* Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.
Happy Baking!!

10 comments:

  1. Looks very special, almost like a zebra cake!It looks very soft too, yum yum! ;D At one look I thought it's chocolate, but I should know my coffee lover friend would opt for coffee flavor, heehee. Nice nice nice! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and soft! Love coffee-flavoured cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very soft and spongy, like the layer pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sponge cake looks very soft and fluffy! I must bookmark this recipe. I love to eat sponge cake because I its lightness had cheated me for adding calories to my body hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee Bee,
    You bet...I can never live without coffee..haha! But I know you'll use chocolate instead..:)

    busygran,
    Yea...my favourite is coffee!

    Jees@Bakericious,
    This the first time doing the sponge with layers. Was abit stress at first...worry it may sink!!

    Kitchen Corner,
    Same to me, I like cakes so much but worry the calories...haha! So this definitely satisfied me..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love the swirled flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. harlo
    can i replace corn oil to butter ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sherene,
    Yes you may, but butter is more condense compare to cornoil, so the texture may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...can i replace vanilla powder to vanilla essence
    tq :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherene,
    I think Shd be ok with vanilla essence but the taste would be slightly different. Then you may adjust the sugar to 20g because vanilla powder is alittle sweet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails