Friday, September 16, 2011

Black Sesame Angku with Coconut Fillings

It's almost the end of the week again, and school will starts on Monday. Well, before I get into my daily routine next week, I better do something that I longed for. I miss this angku kuih that my mum taught me. I love the chewy texture when biting and I like the bean paste fillings but this round I'll make it with coconut fillings which my husband loves.
My mum gave me some black sesame powder which she made herself weeks ago. It smells so nice and I dare to say that those black sesame powder my mum made is much much much better than those selling outside. Love it, thanks MAMA!!
Without any hesitation, I tried it on the angku recipe she taught me with some changes in it.


Ingredients for Black Sesame Pastry:

200g Local White Sweet Potatoes (steamed and mashed)
290g glutinous rice flour
10g black sesame powder
1 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsps sugar
3 tbsps cornoil
210-220ml water

** May need more water depends on the quality of the sweet potatoes used.

Method:
~ Mix all ingredients together and mix by hand. (add water slowly)
~ Knead lightly until a soft dough forms and leave for 20-30 minutes before using.
~ Wrapped in fillings and sealed tight.
~ Dust alittle rice flour
on the mould and press the angku onto the mould and knock out gently.
~ Brush alittle cornoil on the prepared banana leaves and place the angku on it.
~ Steamed at high heat for 5-8 minutes (smallest size of the mould) / 8-10 minutes (for medium sizes)
~ Brush alittle cornoil on top of the kuih right after steaming to prevent from sticking to each other.

For the details of the fillings you can refer to my older post. (Bean paste or coconut)
If you ask me, I prefer the beans paste fillings than the others, I can eat at least 5-6 pieces in one go...haha! Crazy me!!

This new pastry recipe was a good one. And it was actually my mum's idea too. The taste of the black sesame does not overlap the fillings and it has a nice aroma of the black sesame...:) So far, I've tried this pastry with orange sweet potatoes, pumpkin, taro, beetroot and now black sesame. I wonder what else can I use...;p



Cheers!!

8 comments:

  1. Reese, I miss your ang gu kuih very much leh! I bet this sesame version must be super yummy too ( with peanut filling that is, lol!) You and your mum sure are masters of ang ku making! I am thinking of making also...hopefully can find time. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reese, I have not tasted this kind of an gu kuih before. Hint, hint! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious and beauty!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ang gu kuih especially the Teochew version but yours definitely worth a try, looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want some too!!!!!!! Is sesame powder hard to make?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've had these before. These look awesome. You have a beautiful blog. I am now following you. Feel free to follow me back.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bee Bee,
    When I was making this, I do fill like making some with peants filling. When I have that thought I'm thinking of you...;p

    Veron,
    The next time we meet, I'll make some for you to try..hehe!

    Gloria,
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann,
    I love this kuih but never try before the Teochew one. Maybe will try out some one day.

    Edith,
    The sesame powder is very easy to make. Just panfry the seeds without any oil on a non-stick pan until fragnant. Then when the seeds are totally cool down, blend them into powder and store in air-tight container and leave in the refrigerator.

    Soon and Chopsticks,
    Thank you and you are welcome to my blog..:) And you have a beautiful blog too!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails